Cleaning Hacks

Everyone who loves cleaning their own house, raise their hand! Nobody.
Raise your hand if you love having a clean house. Everyone.

If you are like me, you love having a clean (and organized) home. With three kids and a full time job, I never feel like my house is clean enough. I could constantly pick up and wipe down toilets. I definitely have a type A personality that thrives off organization and decluttered space. (I am going to do a post in May about being a minimalist.) I also thrive off clean floors, counters, and bathrooms. Having said that, my house is definitely not always clean and I don't always have the energy to clean it!

I thought I would share a few cleaning hacks that have helped me over the years. Maybe a few of them can inspire you, too!

Bathrooms
Clorox/Lysol wipes are my best friend. Seriously. We have some in every bathroom and under our sink. It makes wiping every thing down so much easier.

I also keep toilet bowl cleaner, glass cleaner, and paper towels in each bathroom. Nobody wants to run from room to room when trying to get bathrooms clean.

Laundry
I do a load of laundry every day. I try to put a load in the washer before I work out and put into the dryer before I leave for work. I fold and put away right when I get home from work or after kids go to bed. The boys are responsible for putting their laundry away. I put into baskets for them.

Side note: I don't sort my colors. I basically have our previous days laundry be the load for the day. Everything is washed in cold water and I have never had any issues. However, I don't wash towels with the clothes. I wash them on the weekend or once mid-week.

You guys, I am never drowning in laundry. It is amazing!

Shoes
We don't wear shoes in the house. With our hardwood floors, you can see shoe prints so easily. Also, I read a post on all the nasty things on the bottom of shoes once and that was life changing for me. Our floors are dirty enough with food and dust, we don't need to add more to the mix! I prefer when the kids take their shoes (especially winter boots) off in the garage, but they do end up in the entry way often. I don't have to remind the kids to take shoes off before coming inside....sometimes Dan needs reminders though!

Stainless Steel Wipes
Seeing finger prints on my appliances makes me feel like my house is so dirty. We use Weiman Stainless Steel Wipes and they keep are appliances sparkly clean! I honestly use these every couple days!

Sweeping
I quickly sweep after every meal and spot clean with a wet wash cloth (thanks to Ella often throwing food on the floor). This helps me floors stay cleaner, longer.

Kids
Now that the boys are 8 and 5, they have chores (I talked about that here). They use the clorox wipes to clean their bathroom and are responsible for keeping their room clean among other things. I stated in that post that it is not always up to my expectation but they are learning. And SOMETIMES, they even enjoy their chores!

Less is More


Current kitchen view as I write this blog post on Monday afternoon

I am not a saver of stuff. Like I said, I will be posting more about this in May, but it is easier for me to clean because we don't have stuff all over (usually). I do not have very much on my counters and I do not have a lot of places for little nick nacks. I don't keep all the toys in one spot {learned this with the boys as every thing was in one spot and they were completely overwhelmed which caused them to not play with half of them}.  Our living room will have toys spread throughout at any given moment {see picture below}, but they all fit in one bin and takes less than 3 minutes to clean up.

Our living room as I type this post. This is about as messy as it gets but everything fits in that bin or under the TV console (books). It makes cleaning up easy and fast! 

I truly feel like being organized and having a designated spot for almost everything helps keep our home clean. Who knows, maybe one day I'll do a tour of how bare our home is!!

So, I really want to know, what are YOUR cleaning hacks??

Comments

Popular Posts