Kids Chores

The day after the Superbowl is always tough, especially when it is always on a Monday. Whether you wanted the Eagles to win or lose, I hope you have a great week!!

Today I am talking CHORES!

Every family handles kids chores differently. I wanted to share how my family handles them!



Our two oldest have chores every day and they are posted on our fridge. My goal with chores is that they understand that they have a responsibility to help out around the house. As they become older, I hope they offer to be helpful to those around them {without expecting something in return}. I often tell them that I want them to grow up being helpful roommates/husbands. Honestly, their chores have become very helpful to me (hello massive toothpaste globs all over THEIR sink EVERY DAY)! They have been better about those toothpaste globs because they know they are the ones that have to clean them up! I make sure to tell them how helpful it is that they do these chores.

I used to critique how they did their chores. It wasn't helpful to them. It wasn't helpful to me. They are 8 and 5 and aren't going to do things the way I would. I have come to be OK with their way. I  sometimes have to take them and remind them of some things they missed (especially when cleaning the bathroom) and other times I notice it and I just let it go.

I think most of the chores are pretty self explanatory and the boys now know exactly what to do. At first, it was a big learning curve. They didn't know the littlest things, like where to find a bag for the bathroom garbage's or even that when you take a bag out, you need to put one back! They had no idea where to find the dust mitts, how to run a vacuum, etc. Now, they do their chores with little or no assistance from me. For the bathrooms, I keep Clorox wipes in each bathroom and that is what they use to wipe down the vanity, sink, and TOILET. Yes, they wipe down toilets! Do they scrub them and use toilet bowl cleaner? No. They also don't do the bath/shower.

When do they do their chores? They do them after their homework which is right after school. When we get home they get to have a snack while they do their homework and then they do their chores before playing with friends or playing around the house. The chores really take them less than 10 minutes. They know this now and typically need very little reminders from me. Do they forget and complain sometimes, YES.

And here is the part that I know differs for every family...my kids don't get paid for their chores. Dan and I go back and forth for this. I want them to know that they don't need to get paid to be a helpful person, but also want them to learn the value of money. We do ask them to do additional things for money {a favorite of theirs is vacuuming out our vehicles}, but this is always their choice.

I asked them about their chores, and this is what they had to say about them:

Jaxon: Some days my chores are really hard because I have two hard ones on the same day {he really doesn't like Tuesday chores}. Some days, they are really easy ones. It is good we have chores but I wish I could play with friends before I do my chores. I know you are trying to teach us that we have our own responsibilities. Chores aren't hard.

Jace: I think chores are good but I don't like to do them that much. Jaxon has more chores than me. But when I'm 8 I will have 3 chores every day, too.

What do your kids do for chores? Mine have had the same chores for about a year, I would love to hear your ideas!



Comments

Popular Posts