Vikings: A Family Tradition


For as long as I can remember my family watched football on Sunday's. We typically had snacks, enjoyed each others company, and a few of us may have even caught naps on Sunday afternoons. However, we all gathered in the living room, together. When Dan and I started dating, he connected with my family through football. Dan has always been an obsessed Vikings fan, my brother is a big Vikings fan, as well as my dad, my mom, my sister Beth, and I.


2008








2009


When Jaxon came along in 2009, he was immediately immersed into Vikings football.

This is him hanging with dad for his first Vikings game

For as long as I can remember {and many other people can remember}, the Vikings always messed something up in playoffs. Gary Anderson. Blair Walsh.  Enough said. But, Dan, Jaxon, Jace, and I {but mostly Dan and Jaxon} never gave up hope or cheered for another team. In fact, one of my sons in particular has become completely obsessed with the Vikings and pleads to wear a Vikings jersey to school every day. He also has Vikings blankets, pillows, posters and more decor. Jace would still rather play with dinosaurs and legos which is perfectly ok too. He does enjoy hanging out in the man cave..aka garage..for the games with dad though.

For the last four years, Dan has taken Jaxon to a Vikings game and it was finally Jace's turn to join in the fun. It's always interesting to hear comments like "he won't remember it" and "why are you wasting your money bringing a kid to the Vikings game". To us, memories are important. Traditions are important. We are fortunate we are able to bring our kids to the Vikings games. They may not remember every moment or every game, but they will remember getting to go do something with dad that they both love. The atmosphere. The connection. They will remember their fun stays in the hotel and endless amount of overpriced US Bank Stadium food. Even little Jace who isn't the biggest football fan was SO EXCITED to get to go to the game with Dan and Jaxon. And we pray that one day, they will find traditions and memories to make with their own families.

As for me, I also love football. I am glad I am able to understand the conversations between the men/boys in my life. If discussing football was a love language, I would know the way straight to Dan and Jaxon's hearts. I want to enjoy the passions of my sons, even if that includes endless amounts of football and no family plans on Thursday evenings, Sundays, or Monday evenings ;). Football/Vikings talk is constant around our dinner table and before we go to bed. I have learned to embrace this love our family shares. Lately, I haven't been going to the games as I choose to stay back with the kid(s) who do not go. One day, as long as the boys let us girls join in the fun, we are planning on making many family memories at Vikings games.

2010

2012

2013

2014

2015

2016

2016

2017

2017

Dan and I have enjoyed some games with friends over the last few years, too!



Lots of fun with the Schneiders, Condons, and Omans

That brings us to 2018. What Paul Allen refers to as a 'Minneapolis Miracle'. The Vikings had a walk-off touchdown which I am told is a first in NFL history. It was an epic day for Minnesota Vikings fans. It was a history making day for the Vikings and the NFL. #BringItHome #SKOL And, in true Dan Oman fashion, he was at the game with some friends to witness it firsthand.



And we were cheering from auntie and uncle's house!


Jumping for joy!!!!

I lost count with the number of emotions this boy went through on Sunday evening. At one point he said, 'it's ok, we still have a chance. We can't give up.' Right when it seemed like the ending was impossible, DIGGS made it happen!

To say we have some excited people in our house is an understatement. We can't wait to see what next week brings verse the Eagles. No matter what, we are ecstatic with how the latest game turned out. Let's hope we can keep the momentum going!

He tries to wear a Vikings jersey to school every day...the first day back from an awesome Vikings win and this was his Tuesday decision.




Comments

Popular Posts