Storage Room to Toy Room

This weekend, I decided to clean out our storage room. There were many things in there that we haven't really used in the last couple of years. I am NOT a saver much to Dan and my kids dismay (example: Jace always asks to look at pictures he drew or projects he has done from two years ago  AND Dan has actually went through the garbage to pick things out when I go purging...we are talking McDonald's toys here...). Good news, the boys were gone ice fishing and our friends had a trailer of items they were dumping and so I had some space to PURGE!

The purpose for this weekend was to get rid of stuff we no longer needed/used as well as turn our storage room under our stairs into a play area. Jace has most of his toys in his room and has a lot of storage under and on the side of his bed. Jaxon really doesn't play with toys but has a massive amoutn of football/baseball/Pokemon cards. Ella has stuff everywhere. Her room, living room, basement, spare bedroom closet, etc. I wanted there to be a central location on each floor. Upstairs would be her room and downstairs would be this space. I am planning on rotating toys through if she doesn't go downstairs to play often. This is still being determined :)

It all began with getting everything out of the storage room. I really didn't think it would be that bad until I realized just how much stuff was shoved in that small space. I started this when Ella went down for her nap thinking I would get a good start. But, she only took a 45 minute nap. She was great though and hung out, dug through stuff, and stayed fairly busy in the chaos!

Once everything was out, I had to figure out what to keep (and where to put it if I did), what to throw, donate, giveaway, etc. You guys, I had PILES of stuff. Thankfully, I don't really feel connected to materialistic items and so I had no problem getting rid of things. What I kept was a bin for each of the kids plus a plastic file folder for special projects, a bin of special things to Dan and I/wedding stuff, and then one bin of fall decor and one bin of Easter decor. I also kept our suitcases and folding table (put in utility room).

I want these bins to have easy access. I took out everything from our spare bedroom closet (mostly toys) and moved them to the living room. I got rid of some stuff and put some stuff in a corner to be moved to the new toy room. I then stacked the bins I wanted to have easy access to in our spare bedroom closet and piled the suitcases on top. I don't want them there but haven't figured out a good spot yet.
After many hours, I was able to clean the cement in the storage room. After a tip from some friends, I went to get foam tiles  but we stopped for some dinner on the way!
After those were installed, we moved toys in from the closet, from Ella's room, the boys' room, and the living rooms! This is our final product. It isn't fancy but it is a nice, closed off space :) Plus, I have some organized storage and a fun little nook for the kids.


So far, the kids have loved being able to play in there. Ella usually goes down there with the boys or plays in there while I'm working out in the basement. She is the only one that can run around while standing up :)

I am hoping this space will be utilized often. I am thinking there will eventually be some sleepovers, writing on the walls, a fort, and lots of memories!

Comments

Popular Posts