How We Wednesday {Motivate our Kids}


Recaps
February: How We Take Care Of Ourselves
March: Mom Fail
April: Spring Cleaning
May: How We Plan Summer Vacations

I am linking up with my favorite bloggers Shay and Erika for their monthly How We....Wednesday post. Today's topic is how we motivate our kids.  As parents, doesn't it feel like we are ALWAYS trying to bribeblackmail. motivate our kids to do something? Homework, clean their rooms, help with their younger sibling, chores, etc. I don't feel like I have any life changing things around this house. The biggest motivator around our house is either playing with friends or, I hate to say it, screen time. We don't do tangible motivators around our house (toys, money, etc) as I feel like they are motivated by simple things that are free.

During the school year, the boys have to do their homework and chores before they can play with friends. That right there gets them to do everything right after school because they always have plans with their friends in our neighborhood.

For other things such as reading in the summer (they don't love that), doing chores, playing nice together (aka no fighting), and even sleeping in past 8am the biggest motivator around here is screen time. The boys have to read/have quiet time (Jace) for 20 minutes to get 20 minutes of screen time each day. I know they don't get a lot of screen time but we are so busy with other things and they are often outside. They don't always love it, but they earn more on certain days by the things mentioned above. Jaxon will also go through phases where he saves his time (and convinces Jace to do the same and then asks Jace if he could give his time to Jaxon...and he usually does...sigh).

So far, I haven't had to try to motivate my kids in school but I am sure that will come :) As the kids get older, it is also important to remember that each kid will be different and to celebrate accomplishments.

So, playing with friends and screen time are the biggest motivators around our house. I would love if you shared what motivates your kids!!

And here is what is coming up for the rest of the year!


Comments

Popular Posts