Work Mom Life

I don't typically feel guilty for working all day. Jaxon is in school and the two younger ones are in great hands at our daycare. I work at a job that I enjoy and have wonderful co-workers. I have always felt that work is purposeful to me. What stresses me out about being a working mom is always trying to get everything done while still having fun with my family and enjoying all the MOMents. I love when I hear people say 'just let it go'. I really wish I could. I'm envious of the people who can just forget about these things and continue on with their life. For me, messes, unorganization, dirty dishes, no planned meals, laundry piles, clutter, etc. give me elevated levels of anxiety. I don't like the feeling of being in a dirty house. However, no family time gives me this save level of anxiety...and sometimes, I feel like we just don't have time for family time!

Over breaks, I relish the time I don't have to wake my kids up for school {but lets be real, on vacation days they wake up early while on school days they would sleep and sleep} and have them quickly get ready, eat breakfast, get dressed and for all of us to get out the door {on time is definitely a bonus}. Especially in winter. I have a love-hate relationship with snow gear. It keeps them warm but takes an extra five minutes {at least} to get out the door.

This would be my boys if I let them....
     


I also appreciate the times during breaks where the after school/daycare craziness is non-existent. By the time I pick everyone up from school/daycare we need to begin homework. My rule is homework, chores, then friends. While all that is going on, I am typically trying to unpack from the day, sign papers, put papers AWAY while beginning supper. {Side note: if anyone has awesome ideas for what to do with all the school papers, let me know}. Typically, at least one of the kids is not in a great mood by this point. Ella usually wants me to hold her, but I have mastered doing most daily activities with one arm.

Dan usually gets home around 5:30 and we eat shortly after. Often we have activities around this time. It is always the difficult decision if everyone can wait until after the activity to eat or if we should try to eat beforehand. I grew up always eating meals together. Dan and I are also raising our family this way. Having everyone around the dinner table at the same time is important to us. In high school, I was very active in activities and I remember my parents always waiting for me to have supper {what we prefer to call 'dinner'}. While it was annoying at the time, I am so thankful we all had that time together for important conversation. We  Dan always cleans everything up from supper while I play and run around with the kids for a bit. Again, the anxiety I would have with dirty dishes just isn't worth it and thankfully, Dan agrees with me.

The next hour is our family time. One hour. That is all we get. And this is only if we have no activities, errands, commitments, etc. Does anyone else feel like an hour isn't enough? I won't lie, during this hour I rarely have sole focus on my kids. I am also trying to do a few household chores. A goal of mine for January is to be intentional about this hour and spending time with my kids. I know they will go to bed and I can to all the cleaning later.



Another goal is to try to wake up earlier so I have time before I need to officially start getting ready for the day. Chaos is stressful for me and it's stressful for my kids. And sometimes our mornings are pure chaos. I am crabby. The kids are crabby. Having extra time can really help with the chaos. But my bed is often comfy and a little too warm....however, I am going to work at it!

What have you found that helps relieve some of the stress related to household chores?

Some products that really have helped me are the Amazon Tide Dash Button. I received it as a secret Santa gift last year and use it all the time. I know I am not buying the generic anymore so it is a bit pricier but the ease of use is incredible. I have it on my washing machine and when I am low on detergent, I hit the button and have my detergent in two days at my door step. I also keep Clorox Wipes in every bathroom and in the kitchen to wipe down counters and toilets. The boys use these to clean their own bathroom every other day as one of their chores {HELLO toothpaste globs}. For quick cleaning of the floors we also use Swiffer WetJet Spray Mop. It's cheap and easy to use. It doesn't leave as many streaks on my wood floors as other cleaners have. Finally, the Shark Cordless Hand Vacuum is perfect for all the quick vacuum jobs and the steps!

I look forward to breaks and relaxed schedules. Not having to rush out the door every morning. Being able to get a few household chores done during the day without feeling guilty. Not wearing makeup. Less chaos. And being able to spend quality time with my kids. That, I do know, I will miss one day.

Last day of school/work 2017

I am fortunate to have a job where I am able to stay home for 3 months during the summer and long breaks during holidays. I relish this time. I love this time. And I love work, too. I like to say, I have the best of both worlds: stay at home mom all summer and work mom the other nine months.

Summer Swimming Trips are a favorite

Comments

Popular Posts