Murder Mystery Party

This weekend, I hosted a murder mystery party. We invited a few of our friends, assigned characters, and had a great time! I purchased our murder mystery here.

So, how does this work? I think there are a few different ways to go about doing this but I'll give a little information about how I did it.

First, I decided on a mystery to purchase (we did Anonville Manor). I had an idea of the number of people that would attend before I purchased this. You need to make sure the mystery fits the number of guests you want to invite.

After I purchased the mystery, I got a big PDF to download that had all the information I needed. It was a bit overwhelming but I felt like the program broke it down and so it was easy to manage. About a month beforehand, I texted people with the date and time to make sure they could be there. After everyone had confirmed (this was honestly hard, you have to have a certain number of people and I felt bad no including some, so I'm sorry if you weren't invited this time around), the first thing I needed to do was assign characters. There are a few ways to do this. I decided to assign where I thought they would be in their element rather than something completely different, but that could be fun, too! The package has invites to send to everyone and so I had asked for email addresses to email the invite.  On the invite it had their character, information about their character, and a website to go to for more information. I assigned each couple either a dessert or appetizer to bring.

A week before the party, I delivered a card to each person that asked them to contact at least 3 players and tell them specific information. It tells you what to say and who to contact. I filled in the email addresses.

Now, I am sure you are wondering if I knew the plot. I only knew what everyone else knew. The pre-work involved me cutting out a slip of paper for each person and placing into envelopes. I didn't read these as I cut out and so everything remained a mystery for me!

Once everyone arrived, we played three different rounds with new information each round. At the end, someone died and it was our job to try to figure out who did it. You guys, it was HARD. One person only got it partially right. Now, I'm not going to give away any spoilers and I wasn't great about taking pictures because I was busy but this is so much fun! If you are looking for a different way to host a get together, this is a great idea!



I really don't care for decorating (I kind of feel like it's a waste of money) but I tried to pick up a few things related to Halloween (good timing) as this took place at a creepy manor.






I somehow missed pictures of Mr. Crimson and Principal Amethyst. Just realizing this as I'm typing this. Bummer! 

Below is a group shot (thanks to our kids). Another hilarious part of the evening was that our electricity went out...a bunch of times! Everyone thought I did this on purpose (as if I would know how to do that AND would want to reset all my clocks!) but there was some weird weather and the whole neighborhood was having problems.

The only action shots I had...


The ladies minus Principal Amethyst
And last, but not least....I'll leave you with this picture :) 
We all agreed this was so much fun and much harder than we thought. We know a few things we will do differently next time. 

We ended the night with drinks and lots of laughs.

And that is our murder mystery party!

Comments

Popular Posts